Mad Maxine: Teapot Tank

This is my unfinished submission to the Renderman "Rolling Teapot" Challenge over at the PIXAR Renderman Forums.
Model developed by Brice Laville Saint-Martin, and designed by Tom Robinson
We weren't allowed to alter the silhouette or typology, unless a vector displacement was used.
I utilized the now (somewhat) unsupported Blender to Renderman plugin.
I sculpted all the displacements in Blender and then baked out the vector displacement maps to be used by Renderman.
I textured primarily in Substance Painter with mild editing in Blender, as well.

The submission on the PIXAR forums. I didn't fully realize my vision, but it was worth all the late nights, just to get more familiar with Renderman, learn Substance, play with Blender and confront the limits of my knowledge.

The submission on the PIXAR forums. I didn't fully realize my vision, but it was worth all the late nights, just to get more familiar with Renderman, learn Substance, play with Blender and confront the limits of my knowledge.

This is my first exploration of the model, beginning to set up groups and organizing the scene.

This is my first exploration of the model, beginning to set up groups and organizing the scene.

Cleaned up the UVS and wrote a very small script to easily apply vertex colors to faces and selected objects very quickly.

Cleaned up the UVS and wrote a very small script to easily apply vertex colors to faces and selected objects very quickly.

Demoing how to use my script to apply vertex colors, and use those rgb values to drive PxrSurface / PxrDisney textures with PxrVars.

Demoing how to use my script to apply vertex colors, and use those rgb values to drive PxrSurface / PxrDisney textures with PxrVars.

To bake Vector Displacements in Blender, I had to use multires modifier, bake the position data of the highRes mesh into a an 8k image and then use that data to project it onto the 4k vect disp map.

To bake Vector Displacements in Blender, I had to use multires modifier, bake the position data of the highRes mesh into a an 8k image and then use that data to project it onto the 4k vect disp map.

As far as I know, Blender has no proper UDIM module. I used the vertex color script to drive maps per face per object. Substance could then use the UV tiles to makes it texture sets as it does normally.

As far as I know, Blender has no proper UDIM module. I used the vertex color script to drive maps per face per object. Substance could then use the UV tiles to makes it texture sets as it does normally.

My Scultping progress

My Scultping progress